Sunday, March 25, 2007

A week or two ago, a friend of mine got propositioned by a married guy. She declared however, that she didn't do married men and never would, much to my relief. I mean, however unconventional society has gotten now, I myself would still like to believe in the sanctity of marriage. Especially since going out with Marty and realising that "nice guy" wasn't an oxymoron.

My relief was shortlived.

I don't want to sound like I'm stereotyping Singaporean men, I do acknowledge that decent nice Singaporean men exist (like some of the Singaporean boys in Sydney) but more often then not, Singaporean men are insipid jerks who are never satisfied with their lot.

Anyway, it's strange now being in Sydney and sheltered from the real world by Marty's goodness. It wasn't too long ago that my life was filled by horrible Singaporean men. I'm amazed I can forget how evil and horrible people can be but for now, I can't see how Marty could ever betray me and never even feel a shred of insecurity.

And so, what with my friend's life going slightly askew, I can't help but wonder what's going on in the minds of modern Singaporeans.

I remember not too long ago, when said friend and I were still in uni, a couple of married people around us started having affairs and getting divorced. I think I was going through an emo phase then and such news was definitely not chicken soup for the soul. I was jaded. Said friend was horrified too that her bosses at work were mucking around.

Seriously, which girl grew up having thoughts of leading a life filled with lies, affairs and subterfuge? I think my prince charming dreams were shattered then and we realised that it was something we should never be surprised at because that was what the real world was like.

So, many failed relationships later, however much of Marty's goodness rubs of me and no matter how I can't imagine him cheating on me, even if he did, it wouldn't be that big a blow compared to the first few betrayals. I guess, that's a fine example of jadedness.

But the point that I'm trying to make is not so much how I feel about someone cheating on me but more, what do you say to a friend when they tell you that they've gone and slept with a married man.

Tsk tsk?

Crucify them?

Be supportive like a good friend should? I personally have problems with helping friends down the road to perdition. But maybe, the degardation of societal mores will one day make affairs acceptable. Just like sexual equality and rock and roll. And MAYBE, it is now acceptable, back in Sunny Singapore. Who knows, I may just be out of touch! Ah the relief now washes over me. Suddenly everything makes sense again...... NOT!

Sigh

1 comment:

Jolene said...

You may as well just identify me lah.. "said friend"? Wahaha.. I'll try to sort out this muck I'm in. And you're right, I think I do like him more than "a bit" and yes, I'm trying to provide an explanation for everything.

Ending off like Borat? Very in.